The Finest Cardigan
The finest make of cardigan anywhere, made in luxurious Loro Piana merino, cut to be perfect with tailoring.
The Finest Cardigan is Simon's recreation of an old collaboration with John Smedley - but improved in design and vastly elevated in both materials and make.
The cardigan is cut with a lower armhole, long front opening, and flat hips - to avoid the unsightly pulling that often happens with such pieces. This also makes it easier to vary the number of buttons left undone, and therefore the rise of trousers it is worn with.
Akin to a waistcoat in its fineness and smartness, Simon sees it as the ultimate workhorse piece in the wardrobe: good on its own, and layered under a jacket, dressing up a simple office look, or useful worn around the house (particularly when working from home).
Says Simon: "To anyone pining for old-fashioned tailoring, a cardigan like this can add recreate some of a three-piece suit’s flattering lines - but without looking too formal."
The Finest Cardigan is available in navy and dark green - the latter a muted shade that makes it particularly versatile.
On the original post, Simon illustrates several of the ways in which the cardigan is made better than any other, with neat finishing and flat seams. Read that for more on the background to the piece as well.
- Made in Loro Piana Wish 2/60 yarn
- 33 gauge knitting
- Mother of pearl buttons
- Fits moderately slim. Check measurements against knitwear you already own
- Made in Umbria, Italy and shipped from the UK
- Prices quoted on shop site do not include VAT or duties: they are calculated and charged by the courier, when the item arrives
- Free returns and exchanges
- Available exclusively from Shop.PermanentStyle.com
- Back length and front length are the same
- Chest is pit to pit
- Shoulder is length of shoulder seam
- Armhole is armhole height
- Bottom is width of ribbing at bottom of cardigan
- Opening is distance from top of cardigan to where plackets overlap
- Simon is 6 foot fall, with a 39-inch chest, and is wearing a Medium