The Rider's Raincoat
A deceptively simple, modern raincoat. With the brief from readers to create a single-breasted raincoat that could be worn with everything from a suit to a T-shirt, Simon decided to bring back one of his favourite ever designs from Drake's.
The material of the coat is a super-compact cotton twill, from an Italian mill that specialises in technical outerwear. It is highly water-resistant (as Simon says in the launch post, good for everything part from actual sport) and softens over time, much like a tough pair of workwear chinos.
The colour was picked specifically to feel contemporary (with perhaps a little 80s Armani influence) and work with a full range of readers’ outfits, from smart to casual, brown shoes and black.
The fit is a classic A-line, making it easy and comfortable to throw on over a variety of outfits, tailoring and tees and knits. But its belt gives it as much shape as the wearer requires, creating a personal silhouette.
As Simon says "I’ve watched so many guys try on raincoats and think they’re too big in the body. The whole point of a belted raincoat is to cinch. It’s big in the body so it fits over everything, but most people don’t want that shape - so belt it around the front in the traditional way, or cinch at the back with a simple knot."
The coat is packed with details, from the closely stitched belt to the double pockets, and a hidden phone pocket under the fly front. It has real character and personality, but all from the most practical design elements.
Read the full article here for all details.
- Outer material 100% ultra-dense cotton twill
- Tattersall lining in 100% cotton heavy shirting cloth
- Corduroy lining on collar and cuffs
- Sold-brass belt buckle
- Dark-brown horn buttons
- Removable throat latch
- ‘Pass through’ double hip pockets
- Phone pocket in the fly front
- Made in Italy
- Simon is wearing a Medium/38 (UK chest size, 48 European)
- He could also wear a 40 (it would just be a little more cinched in body)
- We recommend looking at the chest size and comparing to a raincoat you own (more than the shoulders or waist)
|X-Small (34)||Small (36)||Medium (38)||Large (40)||X-Large (42)||XX-Large (44)|
|Centre back length||116.5||117.5||118.5||119.5||120.5||121.5|
Note: As with most garments, tolerance is around 1cm. Including measurements to the nearest millimetre does mean greater accuracy
- Not an easy coat to alter, or one you’d want to change the style of much, but some changes are possible:
- Body can be shortened by a good tailor, but not lengthened (though given the length, hopefully not required by many)
- Sleeves cannot be lengthened, but could be shortened (same restrictions as with other coats with wrist straps: can only shorten a bit or would need to remove strap)
- Body can be slimmed through the side seams, but again wouldn’t recommend as would change the style, and you can cinch as much as you want with the belt