The Donegal Overcoat
The Donegal Overcoat is a heritage piece of outerwear, born out of the need for a versatile coat that could be worn with jeans for a walk, or tailoring to the office.
Says Simon: "Donegal tweed is so pleasing in the texture it creates, yet subtle. There’s slubbiness in there and colour variation when you look carefully, but it never feels as old-fashioned as a big windowpane."
The tweed was spun especially in the county of Donegal, Ireland in the last remaining mill that makes the yarn - before being woven in Lancashire and then manufactured into the coat by Private White VC in Manchester.
And the coat was rigorously designed to be easy to wear, yet flatter the owner. A higher collar frames the face; an insert in the collar keeps it up; a throat latch protects the neck yet sits elegantly when not in use.
It's casual, yet luxurious. The 760g wool is warm yet malleable, the two-hole horn buttons recall Savile Row tailoring, and the pockets are deliberately lined on both sides of the pocket with cashmere, to warm the hands.
The coat is made to be easy to alter:
- It is cut a little longer than most modern overcoats, as Simon considers it more practical and flattering
- But it can easily be shortened by a tailor - a good four inches without interrupting the balance
- It can also be lengthened slightly if needed, by around 2cm
- The sleeves can also be lengthened by around 2cm. And they can be shortened. Shortening by 1.5cm would be easy - more than that would require the wrist strap to be moved, but that is not a big job for a tailor
- The body can also be narrowed, but isn't recommended, as the style is supposed to be roomy, easy to wear, and flow
- Have a close look at the measurements below if you're unsure of sizing, and if in doubt compare to a coat you already own
- However, the coat is standard size, so take your normal size - roughly Small for a 48 chest, Medium for 50 and so on. Unlike the Bridge Coat, it is not slim in fit and there should therefore be no need to size up.
- Simon is six foot tall and usually wears a size 50-chest jacket. He is wearing a Medium.
- As with all PS products, there are free returns should you want to change sizes. Ships from the UK.